Paved Roads

Before World War II the only paved road in Fayette County was Highway 54 between Jonesboro and Shakerag Hill located just beyond Walt Banks Road in Peachtree City. It was paved during Governor Ed Rivers’ administration probably to try and swing Fayette County away from its traditional political support for Eugene Talmadge. In paving Highway 54, a relatively new process was employed using multiple layers of gravel and tar. People made fun of Highway 54, calling it “Rivers’ greased road” because of its shiny appearance created by the tar base.

The paving of Highway 85 was not completed through Fayetteville until after World War II. The streets around the Court House Square were paved in the late 1940’s and slowly, road by road, most of Fayette County’s main roads were paved.

Colonel Culpepper, a distinguished citizen, represented Fayette County in the Georgia Legislature for many years and was very influential in state politics. He was instrumental in the revision of the Georgia Constitution in the early 1940’s.

Colonel Culpepper practiced law and when he was engaged in speaking for a client in the Fayette County Courthouse, his booming voice could be heard all over town. Since he was hard of hearing, he always spoke with a very loud voice; apparently not aware that others had no hearing problem.

On one occasion a group of Fayette County citizens went to him asking him to use his influence to get Highway 92 paved.

One of the citizens spoke for the group, ”Colonel Culpepper, we’d like to see if you could help us in getting Highway 92 paved between Fayetteville and Fairburn.”

Colonel Culpepper, hearing only part of the request, loudly responded, “What was that about paving a road?”

The citizen repeated in a raised voice, “We’d like to get the road to Fairburn paved.”

Colonel Culpepper raised his eyebrows, considered the request for only a moment and then replied in his usual loud voice, “Who in the hell wants to go to Fairburn?”