Home from School

From the time I was in the 6th grade until I graduated from high school at the end of the 11th grade I went to school on the high school campus. There were not many high school students during this time and by using the old vocational building all elementary students in the Fayetteville area were housed on the high school campus.

I always enjoyed my trip to and from school each day. I usually walked but occasionally I rode my bicycle. I never liked to take my bicycle on campus for it was difficult to keep other students from riding it, and I was always afraid they would break it.

Jimmy and Kathleen Boyd lived in the house just east of the school. They were good friends of my family and let me leave my bicycle in their car garage during school time.

My walk home in the afternoon was my favorite. Just getting out of school was a refreshing feeling and I’m sure this gave my walk home special meaning. I thought I might recall one of these walks with the hope it might bring back a memory or two for you.

As I left the Boyd’s going toward town, I passed the Jackson home place. It was a large house where the Davies family, Bill Jackson, and the mother Mrs. John M. Jackson lived. Mr. Davies was an officer with the Georgia State Patrol. Mrs. Davies was a Jackson, Bill’s sister. They were often sitting on their front porch as I passed by.

Col. Culpepper, his wife and one for their daughters lived in the next house. It was a grand house with a large front porch. The yard was fenced with large flat stones about three feet high, just high enough to provide a good place to sit for a short rest.

Next was Arthur Matthews’ house. He and his wife lived there. Mrs. Matthews was a graceful, loving person. She made you feel good with her bright smile. We would sometimes buy milk from her. Her house was always clean as a whistle and I can remember the clean smell of the kitchen when Mother sent me for milk.

The last house on this street was Miss Roxie Blalock’s. She was in her 90’s and lived alone. The sidewalk in front of her house was sandy and she kept it swept with a homemade broom made of broom sage. She sometimes cautioned me about riding my bicycle. She said she was afraid I’d fall off, but I think she didn’t like anyone making tracks in her freshly swept sidewalk.

For many years when we lived next to Mr. Tom Nations, I made a right hand turn at this point. I passed Mrs. Jenny Farrar’s, Mr. Cap Travis’, Mr. Buck Murphy’s, and Dr. Busey’s houses. There was a line of oak trees in front of Mr. Travis’ and Dr. Busey’s houses. Dr. Busey painted the trunks of his trees white. When Hwy. 85 was paved these trees were removed .

Later when I was in high school we moved to Railroad Street (now Jeff Davis) and my route home changed after passing Miss Roxie’s. I now cut across the Courthouse Square to the Burkes Hotel. I then continued, passing Mr. Hill Redwine’s house, an apartment house, the Hightower house, two houses whose occupants I can’t remember, the Rivers house (later City Hall), and a row of markets and stores.

Finally I arrived at Railroad Street. I then passed the Harp’s house where Hoss Harp, Mayor of Fayetteville, his brother Russ, and his sister Mary Harp lived.

Next was Mr. Bill Howell’s family. Jimmy Howell was a classmate and a friend of mine. The last house before mine was Bill Holt’s house.

This trip took about forty-five minutes. Mother and Daddy both worked, so I had some time by myself until they got home. I was not a “ latchkey” child because we didn’t have a key.